Saturday, October 19, 2024

Opinion Today: When Trump rants, this is what I hear

His hostility has taught me more about myself.
Opinion Today

October 19, 2024

Trump began the first of his three presidential campaigns warning that immigrants were not the best. I would never presume to be the best of my old country, nor the best of my adopted one. I don't have to be, and I don't apologize for that.

A photo illustration of a young boy with dark hair, visible in a gap between torn maps of Peru and California.
Photo illustration by Mel Haasch
Author Headshot

By Carlos Lozada

Opinion Columnist

I first arrived in the United States as a 3-year-old boy, the youngest child in an immigrant family from Peru. Over the past several decades, I've made my life here, studying and working and building a family. I'm still an immigrant, of course, but that label has moved lower on my drop-down menu.

When Donald Trump declared in last month's debate with Kamala Harris that immigrants were "eating the dogs" in Springfield, Ohio, I was struck by an overwhelming sadness at his relentless diminishing of America's ideal as a nation of immigrants. The feeling prompted me to look back on his xenophobic cacophony, building so relentlessly over the past decade, in attacks that have narrowed the distance for me between immigration as a memory and being an immigrant as a present identity.

When Trump started his 2015 presidential campaign by saying that Mexico was not "sending its best," he robbed my family of agency, implying that immigrants will passively go wherever a leader sends them.

When he derided our homelands as "shithole countries," he bypassed the tragedies that compel immigrants to move and how leaving hurts, despite the hope that what awaits on the other side will be better.

When Trump told four Democratic women in Congress to "go back" to their countries, he unknowingly trivialized how often I've gone back in my mind, wondering what that other life, that other person, might have been like.

When he mocked immigrants for not speaking English, he ignored the interplay between native tongues and new ones and how demanding purity in language — and in people — is utterly self-defeating.

How can immigrants "poison the blood" of the nation when we have always been its lifeblood? With his accusations, Trump is administering his own brand of venom, one whose cumulative effect is to disfigure a nation, not exalt it.

READ THE FULL COLUMN HERE

A photo illustration of a young boy with dark hair, visible in a gap between torn maps of Peru and California.

Carlos Lozada

When Trump Rants, This Is What I Hear

His hostility has taught me more about myself.

By Carlos Lozada

THE WEEK IN BIG IDEAS

We hope you've enjoyed this newsletter, which is made possible through subscriber support. Subscribe to The New York Times.

Games Here are today's Mini Crossword, Wordle and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com.

If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Opinion Today, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, including those regarding The Athletic, manage your email settings. To opt out of updates and offers sent from The Athletic, submit a request.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebookxinstagramwhatsapp

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Page List

Blog Archive

Search This Blog