Saturday, September 28, 2024

Opinion Today: Both my abortions were necessary. Only one gets sympathy.

There are many reasons to terminate a pregnancy.
Opinion Today

September 28, 2024

My two abortions were a decade apart and different in so many ways. But my choice to have them hinged on the same innate desire to exercise the freedom to determine my future.

An illustration showing a woman stepping onto a giant outstretched hand.
Karlotta Freier

By Sarah Elaine Harrison

Ms. Harrison is a lawyer and researcher in Texas.

Last November, the Sunday after Thanksgiving, my husband and I flew to Colorado so I could receive abortion care. Just days before, our doctor confirmed that one fetus in our twin pregnancy had a fatal abnormality. But, as I write in my guest essay for Times Opinion, I live in Texas, a state with an abortion ban. To protect myself and the other fetus, we had to quickly travel out of state for a selective reduction. And there was no time to litigate — waiting longer for the procedure would have put the entire pregnancy at additional risk.

This story is similar to many others we have heard post-Dobbs. Lawmakers in dozens of states have imposed abortion restrictions that are forcing women to carry nonviable pregnancies to term and hamstringing the medical profession with unclear exceptions for life-threatening situations. This has resulted in thousands of women leaving their state for care or hovering on the brink of death before receiving treatment.

There is value in all abortion stories. But my worry is that most people are sympathetic to the kind we keep hearing about and not toward those of the typical abortion patient. A decade ago, when I was a single mother and jobless, I was that typical patient. I needed an abortion so I could care for my daughter and pursue my career in public service. While the circumstances differed, my abortions were equally valid and necessary.

One in four women in the United States is expected to have an abortion in her lifetime, slightly more than an eighth of the population. If we focus only on certain kinds of abortions, we lose sight of all that was lost with the overturning of Roe — the freedom for all women to control their lives no matter the circumstances. In our effort to restore that freedom, we must also fight abortion stigma by recognizing that it is normal and necessary health care and seeing the humanity in all women who receive it.

READ THE FULL ESSAY HERE

An illustration showing a woman stepping onto a giant outstretched hand.

Guest Essay

Both My Abortions Were Necessary. Only One Gets Sympathy.

There are many reasons to terminate a pregnancy.

By Sarah Elaine Harrison

THE WEEK IN BIG IDEAS

We hope you've enjoyed this newsletter, which is made possible through subscriber support. Subscribe to The New York Times.

Games Here are today's Mini Crossword, Wordle and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com.

If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Opinion Today, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, including those regarding The Athletic, manage your email settings. To opt out of updates and offers sent from The Athletic, submit a request.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebookxinstagramwhatsapp

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Page List

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

These next 48 hours will be the most important of my entire campaign

If you're waiting for a sign to jump in this race, here it is!  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ...