Saturday, May 13, 2023

Opinion Today: How miserable are we supposed to be?

A psychologist on the difficulty of defining mental illness and the necessity of treating it anyway.

Misery is inevitable, but we also have a sense that there can sometimes be too much of it. We don't want to eliminate misery; that seems somehow morally dubious and practically impossible.

Bráulio Amado

By Huw Green

Throughout my training and career as a psychologist, I have been plagued by the worry of how to justify what I do professionally. The "psy disciplines," which encompass psychiatry and the varieties of psychotherapy, have always been subject to critique of their scientific and conceptual basis. Isn't professional mental health care just the most currently fashionable way of managing social deviance? Am I a sympathetic health professional or a regulatory arm of the state analogous to the police? The practical aspects of my training suggested to me that there is value in the provision of mental health care. I have met countless individuals whom the field seems to have helped, and I consider myself to have benefited from psychotherapy.

But my engagement with philosophically oriented literature about the field never quite quelled the doubts I had about the basic underpinnings of what I do, which I wrote about in a recent guest essay. I spent a lot of time learning to identify the traits of mental disorders in order to pass a qualifying exam, but I never found a fully satisfactory definition of mental disorder. I have learned to identify instances when I feel I should refer someone to a psychiatrist for medication treatment, but I have never satisfied myself that I know the difference between depression and ordinary sadness. I have flip-flopped between the hope that I am treating serious illnesses and the worry that I am occupying a purely socially constructed role.

Over time I have come to reconcile these apparently polarized positions in my head and to start letting go of the idea that my work needs to be entirely grounded in an unimpeachable set of scientific facts. The reality is that psychology is a practice that has to be both socially negotiated and informed by our best efforts at scientific inquiry and justification. On the face of it, this integration seems paradoxical. But I see it as a form of pragmatism that is indispensable for those working in my profession.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Subscribe Today

New York Times Opinion curates a wide range of views, inviting rich discussion and debate that help readers analyze the world. This work is made possible with the support of subscribers. Please consider subscribing to The Times with this special offer.

Games Here are today's Mini Crossword, Wordle and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Opinion Today, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Page List

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

USAO - Massachusetts News Update

Offices of the United States Attorneys   You are subscribed to USAO - Massachusett...